Thursday, March 17, 2011

Taxi ride

Every now and then, the squadron will host a Red Carpet Day. During that time they open the squadron to the spouses so our hubbies can show us some of the things they do at work!! For example, they will let you sit in a simulator and try a few flights in the F-15C. Sometimes they will offer a tanker ride so you can watch your man air to air refuel. This Red Carpet Day I got to take a high speed taxi in the Mighty Eagle!

To start the day, we had a safety briefing given by our very own Shot Glass!

He took us to a mock cockpit to show us, first, how to put on the harness. Don't laugh, it's not always intuitive.

Then, we learned how to get in and out of the plane safely and quickly. He showed us how to strap into it (can you believe there are 5 seat belts, an oxygen line, and face mask connections!?)

This isn't so hard. Ok, it's not so graceful. I'm so proud of myself!!

Along with getting in and strapping down, he showed us how to wear the helmet and face mask. Don't I look hot?!

Once we had the hang of getting in and out of the jet, it was time to suit up and head to the jet! Of course, we had to stop to take a few pictures first. Yelena, Monica and I were the first wave to step to the jet (that's pilot speak for the first to go.)


Once out at the jet, I climbed into the cockpit like I had learned earlier that morning, connected all 5 seat belts, the O2, and the wiring so I could talk to the pilot. I will admit, I had a lot of help from the crew chief for all of those!

Don't I look like a real fighter pilot?!

After all the preflight business, we were ready to taxi. I got to make the call to the tower requesting permission for high speed taxi on the runway. Before I knew it, we were zero to FAST in a split second. It was fun while it lasted, and that wasn't all that long. In only 3 seconds we were decelerating and preparing to return to the hangar. What I wouldn't give to get airborne!!

My view from the backseat.


Though it was over way too fast, it was an awesome experience!! How many women get to ride in an F-15 and call it a day at work with their hubby?! Thanks to Cinc for doing the taxi and coaching me through the radio calls. Thanks to SHOT for the awesome safety brief and for having such an awesome job!! So proud of you, Babe!!


1 comment: