One day as a last resort, I put together some songs that remind me of Taylor in a playlist on our iTunes. I played those songs while I danced and sang along. I was shocked to see that by the middle of the first song she was quiet. She dosed through the second and was out cold by the third song! The last 3 songs were just for good measure. I tried it again the next day and again, it worked like a charm! We now sing, dance and sleep everyday at least once. Now when she is crying unconsolably, I start her playlist. Before the words of the first song start, she is calm!
Each song on her list has some sort of significance. What are these magical songs, you ask? Well here they are:
Taylor's Playlist
1. Wagon Wheel by Old Crow Medicine Show - The chorus starts "rock me Mama like a wagon wheel..." I sing this to her when I'm rocking her to sleep.
2. Daughter by Loudon Wainwright III - The title says it all. Plus it's a great song!!
3. Father and Daughter by Paul Simon - Not only is this a touching song, but it was the song that my dad and I danced to at my wedding.
4. You're the World to Me by David Gray - Again, the title says it all but this was also a back-up song for our first dance at our wedding.
5. Taylor by Jack Johnson - Enough said. Just don't listen to all the words. It's about a prostitute named Taylor!!
6. Too-Ra-Loo-Ra-Loo-Rai by Bing Crosby - An Irish lullaby for our Irish lass. This is also the song her Grandma 'Chele sang to her during her visit here.
The funny thing is, her favorite song is Wagon Wheel. There is something about the tempo, the twang in his voice or the pluck of the banjo that sooths her. Either way, it works and I'm not arguing. Now my biggest concern is wearing them out!!
Lynn, that is the sweetest video and you are an amazing mom already!! She is one lucky girl. Loved reading Taylor's birth story too. You are a badass. Love you guys and give that sweet girl a big hug and kiss from her Aunt Bridge!!
ReplyDeleteLove your momma posts, Lynn!! It's so funny because I was just working on a bday video for Stella and it has Daughter and Father and Daughter. Great choices! :) xoxo
ReplyDeleteI love this! I can't wait to hold sweet Taylor!
ReplyDeleteLynn,
ReplyDeleteThis is so sweet. Music always worked for Emma too. In the car, at night... In fact she still falls to sleep with music every night, and it's fairly loud. She loves it and it works every time!