Saturday, September 7, 2013

Week 4 - First Month Done!!

(Thanks to some technical difficulties, this post if being published a few weeks late. I wrote it during the 4 week, but am just now able to post it. SORRY!)

We did it!! We made it through our first month! I will admit that it's gone faster than I thought it would.  Getting settled takes a lot of time and energy. Though I've tried to write a few times each week, there are some things that might be worth updating now.

Housing

We are still living with my parents in downtown Indy. The house hunt has been much more frustrating than I ever could have imagined. I've walked through several homes and inquired by phone or email about countless others.  I finally found a house that met all of my "must haves" and sent in a leasing application. We are waiting to hear back from the landlord, so I won't give too many details or celebrate too much until things are final. But hopefully if all goes well, we'll have a place of our own next week!!

Buzz

I am currently 22 weeks pregnant and growing bigger each day. It seems too early for some activities to be challenging, but I can say, Tay doesn't fit on my lap like she used to. I'm slower than usual but am trying my best to keep with Taylor.

The nuts and bolts

We have a pediatrician, a general practitioner, an OB, and a place to deliver Buzz!! Working my way through the civilian medical system is overwhelming and confusing. But compared to the military setup, the level of care is worth the hassle!! I absolutely love Taylor's pediatrician and am very excited about the OB practice and hospital for this pregnancy. I could get used to this civilian living thing!!

Fun

We've been lucky to have great weather this month which has allowed us to do much more outside than we would have in Okinawa! There have been a few trips to the pool with Taylor's cousins. Of course, we've done our fair share of shopping.  We've been to the Zoo several times to see the animals, play in the splash park and feed the birds.

The splash park at the zoo with Meemaw.

We walk on the canal and feed the ducks several times a week.  They know Tay's orange stroller and come swimming when they see us!!


We read books all the time. And we like to read the same ones over and over and over.


We hang out with Tay's cousins Reese and Nolan for playdates. Sometimes the playdates are just too much and she ends up napping on the date.

Taylor and Nolan both were tuckered out!

We spent a few days at Lake Monroe relaxing on the boat. She's not so thrilled about the life vest, but the bubbles that the boat make in the water are pretty entertaining. 


We spend hours building and destroying block towers.



Michael

He is getting settled in his new place in Taif. He is making friends with several of the British contractors who are living there.  From the sounds of it, he's not having a horrible time. He has flown a few times so far but has yet to get into the full swing of things. It seems their scheduling practices are not quite as efficient as he is used to, so it can be frustrating. He has gone "into town" a few times to get a haircut, go to the grocery, or stop at a shop or two. I'm very curious about these experiences, but I've gotten little detail on life off the compound.  Maybe one day he'll be able to fully explain what life is like for the typical Saudi. All in all, I think life there is very different and takes a great deal of adjusting, but I'm very happy to know that it's not quite as boring or lonesome as I originally feared

No comments:

Post a Comment