My sister, Julie, and her husband, Paul Critser, were expecting their first child and our family's first grandchild at the end of January. We learned that she would be be induced on Sunday, January 16th while I was there visiting!! I can't tell you how excited I was to know that I would get to meet my first nephew before I headed back to Japan!!!
To prepare for Tiny Critser's arrival, all of my sisters, my mom, and I went to get mani's and pedi's on Saturday. We spent the morning chatting about what he would look like, when he'd be born, and how the next day would go. Julie and Paul decided to keep his name a secret. So, of course, that was also a serious topic of discussion.
Momma Julie on the left with Grandma Taylor and his future Taylor Aunts!
Another way our family prepared for the arrival of the first of the next generation, was to build a portable stork to welcome the little one home. It truly was a family affair. Dave bought the supplies. I drew the design. Dad and Paul cut and built it. Katie and I painted it. And later, Katie, Dad, and I put it in their yard to wait for his arrival.
When Sunday, January 16th arrived, 13 of Tiny Critser's 14 closest family members gathered in the lobby of the hospital to wait for his arrival. His 4 grandparents, Phil and Theresa Taylor and John and Beth Critser, his Aunt Rebecca and her boyfriend Prath, his Aunt Laura and Uncle Kevin, his Aunt Katie and Uncle Mike, His Uncle Dave and Aunt Catherine and, of course, Aunt Lynn with Uncle Shot there in spirit waited for up to 14 hours for his arrival. We passed the time by playing cards, reading, surfing the web, making runs to local restaurants for food, and watching TV.
The waiting was MORE than worth it because at 10:44 pm on Jaunuary 16th, Henry Paul Critser entered the world!! We all heard the chimes over the loud speaker and stood clapping with anticipation. About 25 minutes later, Paul came out to the lobby to announce Henry's birth and name to his anxious family. We were more than excited to hear the announcement!!
Shortly after, the whole gang was ushered back to the delivery room to meet Hanry and see our Julie! Both looked wonderful, happy and healthy.
The number of family members in the delivery room was too great to fit in one frame so check out this video of smiling family members!
Momma Julie, Henry and his loving Grandmas!!
Of course, I also spent the next several days visiting Julie, Paul, and Henry at the hospital or their house. I couldn't get enough of Henry. I wanted to hold him all the time for as long as possible. Dad said it best, "His face is like a fire, I can't stop staring at him! His sleeping face is so hypnotizing" It is the truth.
Henry Paul Critser
7 lbs 13 oz
The first of the next generation of Taylors!
Needless to say, leaving the US this time around was very difficult. I did NOT expect to feel this way about this baby. I've held babies before. I've rocked them and fed them and changed them and it's all been great. But this little guy, Henry, he is something special. He has changed my world! For the first time I didn't want to leave. I didn't want to go back to my life in Japan, to my husband and dog and friends. I wanted to continue staring at this face, watching him smile in his sleep, and grow with each passing minute. I couldn't imagine missing out on a single thing in his life!! So during my last visit at Julie and Paul's house, we had a sorrowful goodbye. I know that we will skype and see pictures, but it breaks my heart that he will grow up not knowing me as his aunt. He will not get to know my face as a familiar and loved part of his life. I will miss his first words and steps. It's times like these that I feel so far away from home. It was the perfect way to end such a sad trip to the States. But all the same, even the happy times are lined with sadness.
I am so very grateful to meet Henry in person. I couldn't imagine missing such a joyous occasion as this. Thank you, Julie and Paul, for including me in this important day. I am so very honored to be called Aunt and will do my best to be involved from afar. Know that I am always thinking of you and Henry and miss you all very much. I love you guys!!




Congratulations Auntie Lynn! What a blessed baby to be born into a wonderful family like yours! :)
ReplyDeleteTears streaming down my face, Lynn! I can't tell you how special it was for you to be home for Henry's arrival. Even though we're miles apart, I know you will ALWAYS be a big part of his life!!
ReplyDeleteLynn you always do such a great job putting these events into words! I second Julie's comment.. tears streaming down my face as well and you are a huge part of all of our lives!!
ReplyDeleteWell make it 3 criers! SO glad you could be here Lynn, and like Julie said - I think that was Uncle Jim's gift to all of us.
ReplyDeleteNo matter how far away you are, you and Mike will always be a huge part of our lives!! Love you!
Totally teared up at this post. I love that so many of you were there waiting and to share in the excitement!!!
ReplyDelete